Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Going on ahead...

At around 4 pm today, the oxygenation of Fisher's blood fell abruptly to nearly zero percent. Shortly thereafter, in the arms of his mother, Fisher Daniel Kayne passed away, one month and three days into what had been a very trying life.

From the moment of his conception to the moment of his passing, Fish had to fight for everything. We take some measure of solace knowing that he suffers no more.

We held him for over an hour after the battle for life had been lost. The doctors assured us that he was not in pain. Our families were there at our sides. Our son was surrounded by people who love him.

We've spent the last two days at the hospital, with doctors and nurses (even nurses we don't remember) approaching us to express their condolences. Many of them wept. Their shock only reinforces the feeling that Fisher's death was virtually unforeseeable until the damage had already been done.

We already own a twin stroller. We tell people that we're going to the hospital to visit "the guys." Stupid little thoughts like these run through our minds.

Truman is still unwell, but continues to improve. We're doing what we can to retain some sanity with regard to his care. Every little blip gets our radars screaming. Knowing now that a perfectly healthy baby can suddenly suffer horribly, there's not much hope for peace of mind.

We will miss you, Fisher Daniel Kayne, king of brooklyn and prince of our hearts. Rest now.

More later. Sorry to be so inarticulate and abrupt, but we're operating on no sleep.

Much love to you and thanks for your support.

11 comments:

  1. k & c,
    i'm so devastated my this news. my heart is heavy for you and though i never met this magnificent man, i grieve for him and for you.

    i believe you'll be reunited with him again. sucks to hear that now. my prayers are fervent and with your little family.

    i am so sorry.
    i love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you guys...

    I love you Fisher...

    You are the king...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I don't know you personally, we are good friends with you sister and sister-in-law Amy. I am sitting here weeping over the loss of your beloved Fisher. I know that there are no words that can make this time easier for you. We can only pray that you remain strong and find the courage you need to get through this time. You are in our thoughts and prayers, we are so so sorry. Courtney Richards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our hearts are broken. For you, for Truman, and for your families. We have no words, but know that you have all of our thoughts, prayers and love. Always.
    Alex & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for writing so beautifully, and keeping us informed. I carry you both, Fisher and Truman in my heart every minute. You're the strongest, most amazing people and parents I know. I am so sorry. All my love. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are thinking of you every minute. Wish we could do something, anything, to help ease your pain. We are so sorry--both of you and Fisher and Truman are in our hearts and minds constantly.
    All love,
    Jac and Jake

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am extremely sadned to hear this news. I wish you the best in your effort to recover from this devestating loss. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. My thoughts are with you.

    Mina Safain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so very, very sorry to hear about this. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts and love go out to you and your family. I'll be holding you to the light.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael,

    Words fail me. I am stunned by your devastating loss, and my deepest condolences go out to you and your wife. I cannot believe what all of you have endured. My heart goes out to you. You are surrounded by many who hold you in their thoughts and prayers.

    with deep regret and sympathy,
    Lesley B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so terribly, terribly sorry that you lost your little prince, Fisher Daniel Kayne. So suddenly and unexpectedly.
    Thinking of you, C and Truman. xo

    ReplyDelete